3.02.2007

Round 1 Match 34

Singing Rodent vs. Allegorical Feline
Alvin: The Chipmunk Christmas song is one of my many seasonal guilty pleasures. During the 80's cartoon craze, Alvin achieved even more popularity.
Aslan: I have to admit, I have not read the Narnia books. However, they are very influential to many, regardless of the level of faith of the reader.
Criteria: On reflection, perhaps Aslan wasn't the best choice for this competition. It's kind of hard for someone to vote against a character who is essentially Jesus. Let's try to keep the theological debates to a minimum, and assess the relative secular value of each icon. Judge now, lest ye be judged.

Comments:
After an intro like that, I can't vote against Aslan - I'll end up inciting a jihad. I read only one of the Narnias, and was nonplussed (I don't remember which one, but a lion, witch and wardrobe were involved). I can't deny a lot of people seem to like the Narnias, but that makes them less appealing to me.

Still, Alvin irritates me, so I can't vote for him either.

Can I choose the witch? If not, I'll take the wardrobe.
 
Never read the books. Thought the movie was okay. Chipmunks are okay - but really, are they that engrained in the mass psyche? I guess it would be nice to have a literary character advance to the next round so we can pretend that we read.

I'll take the wardrobe.
 
G wants the lion because he's tougher and would eat the chipmunk.

J piped up and wants the lion too.
 
I did read one of the Narnia books, and I remember really liking it. Unfortunately, the movie was rented in the early stages of pregnancy, and shockingly I fell asleep.

Alvin was an enjoyable childhood distraction, but he was never a favourite. More of something you would put on when there was nothing else to watch.

I will have to go with the lion, I think over all it has more social significance.
 
Aslan rocks! He's like a god, man. Or a God lion. whatevs. He has my vote.
 
Loved the books, loved the movie.

Aslan, no contest.
 
Alright...honestly....I think the heart pulls for Aslan...but the head says Aslan.

That's my North American centric education showing.
 
If only Alvin ("AlVIN!") was the anti-Christ. Then the whole Alvin vs Aslan would taste more planned and even.

As it is Aslan is too stuck up for our world to care.

(I'm feeling so much hatin lately...gotta get me some deep-fried sugar)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?