1.11.2007

Round 1 Match 6

Plastic feminine mystique vs. Spastic scientific geek
Barbie: Sometimes demonized, often idolized, Barbie has endured decades of social change and still remained relevant, mostly because she reinvents herself over and over again. Can Barbie be a glamorous model? Yep. Can she be an astronaut too? Yep. Is she cool? You bet.
Doctor Who: Also using the reinvention technique to keep current, (we used the Tom Baker version here but all Doctors are admissible in the discussion). Very cool as a gateway into British sci-fi. Also apparently a precursor to current scarf-wearing fashion trends. Big hats and long coats? Not so much. Criteria: Gender issues are certainly at play here, as well as United States consumerism vs. British state-run media. How about a fashion show? Or what can fit more clothes, Barbie's closet or the TARDIS?

Comments:
This isn't even valid numerology. HOWEVER!

I like the results and therefore I agree.
 
I still can't listen to the theme music of Dr. Who without getting chills. My dad was addicted to this show when I was a kid and I remember watching a part of one episode. Although the details have faded, I remember the trauma of what I see causing me to run from the room every time I heard the eerie tune.

Barbie has not had that affect on me and in fact she allowed me to instill some trauma on my little sister who did not take kindly to some of the things I had Barbie do to Ken, G.I Joe and her stuffed monkey.

Barbie should go all the way, as she has done to many a fellow doll.
 
Paragraph one should be "saw" not "see"
 
This is no contest for me... Barbie wins, hands down... Barbie (and her friends and accesories - the Barbie convertible still lives in my basement) shaped my childhood...

Barbie all the way!
 
So who would win the Idol search between these two.

Again an easy victory... Barbie can sing. I believe there has been multiple musical models over the ages. And although I am forced to watch things like "Rescue Heroes" and "Batman", I have got a glimpse of Barbie's movies when I have visited a house that is not a "sausage factory" - to quote a friend - and she sings quite nicely on film (could be a voice over). All this is moot though, because we all know that there has been a lot of people make it to the final four or five simply because of their looks, not the talent.

On the other hand, Dr. Who ?????

Long live the doll we have all admired through the ages!!
 
Would Jack Bauer prefer a pretty blond to save, or would he like a creepy guy (I was also terrified of this man as a child) by my side. I think Jack would go for the blonde.
Lauren
 
Come on....who else can pull off the striped scarf and plaid vest look??

Certainly not double D.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?