1.27.2006

Round 1 Match 8: Action Division

Clash of the International Boy Detectives!

Johnny Quest: His dad is a super-scientist, he's got a bad-ass bodyguard, a culturally-representative adopted brother, and a bulldog. And they all pile in a jet to solve mysteries. Involving mummies, zombies, and ancient gold totems. Accompanied by a cool beat-jazz soundtrack. And the bulldog's name is "Bandit". Why exactly isn't there a big-budget movie franchise of this? Allow me to abandon my impartiality and state that in today's Potter-ized entertainment field, I think we could find a place for one more Quest.

Tintin: Equally cool, (and almost equally overlooked) is Tintin, the investigative reporter who finds adventure and intrigue in every story. With a supporting cast just as colourful as Quest's, and settings as fantastic as the moon, Tintin would also benefit from a little Hollywood treatment. And he's Belgian (take that, Dr. Evil!)


Comments:
Oh sure, mention Bandit but don't mention Snowy (whose name was interestingly different in French, wasn't it?). The overlooked dog who was never listened to but had all the fascinating lines -- but provided me hours of entertainment at the cottage when too much rain or bugs kept me indoors. AND HELLO...Race Bannon?! Isn't someone going to mention the...eh-ehm weird relationship there??
 
Were Godzilla and Godzooki spawned through the Johnny Quest franchise or was that some other guy in a cool hydrofoil boat? If they were, I've got to vote for Johnny as Godzooki wins for one of the best cartoons of all time. If not, I've still got to vote for him 'cause I have no idea who the other guy is.
 
I like that Tin Tin is an investigative reporter and having never watched either of these, that clinches it for me.
Tin Tin for the Win.
 
I vote for Tintin. Smart Belgian guy with the more interesting haircut.
 
I would risk getting disowned for the ~3% of my life spent in Belgium if I didn't support Tintin, so let me get that out of the way, but this could be a tough match to predict.

I mean more people so far are supporting Tintin, and you could argue about whether JQ stands out from the abundance of Hanna-Barbara cartoons, and all...

But the Harvey Birdman factor favours Quest, who was featured on the pilot in 2000. He could share the same outcome as Speed Buggy, Shaggy, and Grape Ape. Incedentally, that "eh-ehm" weirdness was the focus of the episode.

Then again, the judge's leanings are clear. And one judge may overrule three or four votes...
 
Footnotes:

Snowy was called Milou in French, and Thomson and Thompson (who inspired the name of the Thompson Twins) were Dupond and Dupont.

Moxywoman may also be voting with her Duran Duran connection, a former vocalist having called himself Stephen "Tintin" Duffy.
 
I'd have to say that given his time of origin, TinTin helped develop the intrepid investigator archetype. Johnny Quest would be a product of TT's influence.

Nostalgia, staying power and Bogart-ian cachet win out over Johnny-come-lately, too lately.

A winwin for TinTin!
 
You guys are giving me an ulcer.
I am resolved to subject you all to hours of Jonny Quest episodes at the finale party, no matter who wins.
I will have my revenge.
 
If you get to make people watch JQ, I think they should also get to see Bannon Custody Battle, the pilot episode of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.
 
"get to see". sure. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?